…it involves a camera and a kitchen towel.
Just so you get the gist of how I got to this image, I’ll show you the unedited, the inverted and the colour version, as well as the set up used to achieve this.
The set up was pretty simple as you can see in the image above. What isn’t in the image above, but is very important, is to make sure you shield the flash from hitting the background. I had a magazine held in the way so I could direct it at the smoke without having light fall off behind it.
This is an unedited image, straight from the camera:
The same image, but inverted before we add colour to it:
Then a little bit of cleaning up and a splash of colour. Done. Click the below image to see it bigger.