This won’t always suit everyone, but over the years I have been putting together my perfect portable office. By this, I mean having all the equipment needed to do the job I do, but without the need to be in a certain building or country, being able to get up and go anywhere at the drop of a hat.
To me, this is an extremely dynamic, and liberating way of working. I currently work in an office, but I have the option to do what I usually do – anywhere in the world.
To give you an idea of my job; I do a lot of content creation – photography, videography, video editing, building websites, social networking, blogging, coming up with ideas and generally just making things happen.
The idea of having to work in one place, especially in a creative industry, is an idea I don’t like. At all.
Here is the equipment list from left to right, top to bottom, of everything pictured above:
- Satchel (or Batchel) from The Cambridge Satchel Company
- Apple Macbook Air (Top Spec 11″ model is recommended)
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones (great for concentrating in a noisy place)
- Apple iPad (Doubles up as a second monitor with AirDisplay)
- Olympus OM-D E-M5 Camera with HD Video
- Buffalo Ministation 1TB Slimline Portable Harddrive
- iPad Camera Connection Kit
- Apple iPhone
- Short Apple USB Cable
- HP 16GB USB Memory Stick
- Moleskine Notebook (Squared)
- Apple Macbook Air Charger
- Apple Magic Mouse
- Fisher X750 Space Explorer Pen (writes anywhere on anything)
- Amazon Kindle
And to make sure all your files are always accessible everywhere – store them in the cloud using free services such as Dropbox, or Google Drive (Google Docs is a great alternative to Microsoft Office).
So I put it to you – could you, or do you, adopt this way of working?